Tuesday, August 5, 2014

DIY Embroidery Hoop Earring Keeper



In a burst of creative inspiration, last week I gathered some craft supplies
I had on hand and created this cute and easy Embroidery Hoop Earring Keeper!

When you have so many pretty earrings, why not display them in an equally functional
and decorative manner! 


Including the drying time for paint, I was able to whip this up in probably an hour's time!
Do you want to know how I made it?
I'll show you!


You Need:
Embroidery hoop, medium size range
Jute string
Paint
Brush 
Scissors

 

Paint your wooden embroidery hoop
the color of your choosing.


I painted the outer and inner hoops different colors for an extra pop of contrast.


If you are feeling adventurous, paint a little design on the outer portion of your hoop
where it will be visible.


A few swirly scrolls with some four petal flowers scattered over it looks great.
Then just to add more pop, I scattered some bright red dots and filled in some of the flower petals.


Begin to fasten your lengths of jute to the inner hoop.


I found the best way to secure the twine was by
wrapping it around itself and pulling it toward you.
By doing this it pulls the twine to the fore front of the hoop frame which will work best
when hanging your earrings.


This method doesn't actually secure the twine very tight,
the tightening is accomplished when you put the outer hoop on top and tighten it up.
I found when I made knots, they were too bulky and the outer hoop didn't slip over them,
so this is the method that worked best for me.
If this seems confusing or isn't working, just find a method that works for you.


Once you have the twine lengths tied on where you want them,
{I advise you hang some of your longest earrings from them to get the spacing right}
put the outer hoop on and pull each end of twine as tight as it will go.
Now tighten the outer hoop.

Once everything is tightened, snip the excess twine ends
 And, you're done!


Hammer a nail, and hang your new earring keeper!


Wanna know what sparked my sudden burst of creativity?
My dear friend and fellow blogger, Aspen aka The Texas Rebel Girl,
made me one of her awesome mathom keepers!!


 S E E?!
Isn't that just awesome?!
Made from chicken wire, sticks and jute twine, this piece is a great way to 
hang and display not only your jewelry, but also paper memos and various mementos as well!
I love it so much!

If you want to know how to make one, you can read Aspen's DIY blog post here!


I have found it so much easier getting ready
when I can quickly see the jewelry choices in front of me.
Not to mention I rediscovered some pieces
that had fallen out of circulation because they were buried under all the rest!


I hope you give this easy project a try!
It makes life a little easier...and a lot prettier.

2 comments:

  1. Adorable, dear Des :) A great and cute way for holding all those earrings. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! I think I had the most fun painting it- the fact that it turned out functional for holding earrings was a bonus. :)

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you! Your comments make my day!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

I read every.single.comment. And reply to them as well, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you will receive my reply!

~Des~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...