Monday, January 13, 2014

DIY Disney Silhoutte Wallhangings

I'm sure you've seen the Disney silhouette cutouts on Pinterest and around the web, right?
Just in case you haven't,
here are a couple examples...

{ELAINE} LOVE this idea!!! 1. Google any silhouette 2. Print on colored paper  3. Cut them out  4. Place in frame  5. Voila! 
Disney Princess silhouette: googled image, printed it the size I wanted, traced outline in the window, printed on cardstock, cut it out and framed: total cost $10
 Apparently,
you could take the easy route and order these from Etsy,
they are all over the place in various shops,
but I decided to make my own as a Christmas present to my little sister!


I made a few design changes to mine, however
Wanna see?



When selecting my cutout images, 
I kept in mind what posters and pictures my little sister didn't have,
and tried to fill in the gaps.




 No princess room is complete without a castle!
I decided to cut mine from a patterned scrapbook piece,
 and I love the way it turned out!

For this silhouette, 
I simply printed the image on the back of patterned scrapbook card stock
 (cut down to fit in the printer) then cut the shape out.




My next set of cutouts were done differently.

What I Did:

-First I found an image in one of our various coloring books

-Second, I laid a piece of scrapbook paper, printed side down,
underneath the page with my chosen picture.

-Next, using a pointed instrument, like a pencil without the led tip,
a chopstick etc. (just so long as you aren't actually writing on the surface)
I traced around the outline of the image, being sure to apply a decent amount of pressure.
This resulted in the outline being pressed into the scrapbook paper underneath,
and, if the coloring page on the reverse side had any crayon on it,
that color was also transferred into the indented outline.

-Now cut along the traced lines, and you have your silhouette!
Using a glue stick, secure it to a blank sheet of your choosing, and frame.



As an added element,
I chose phrases from the movie of my characters
and wrote them in easy, flowing calligraphy on a blank sheet, 
which became the backdrop.
I love the detail it adds!
Ariel's background phrases were written straight across,
but for the cutout of Rapunzel and Flynn,
I chose to slant the words starting in the corner,
and start them mid phrase of mid word so it looked as if it continued off the page.



I discovered afterwords that I misspelled Flynn's name, but oh well!
These received lots of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' from the little princess!

The frames were purchased at a dollar store for a total of $6
while the rest of the supplies were already on hand,
making this a very inexpensive gift!
Combined with the approval of my sister, that makes this project a big success!

4 comments:

  1. Oh! Lovely, lovely idea! I may just have to do some for my room, although I have a feeling they will be Hobbit related, and not Disney. ; )

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazing!! I could so see a little hobbit or dwarf on your wall...and a dragon...you would totally need a dragon! :) You know what would be awesome, is if you wrote sayings in elvish for the background!! Yes. You need to do this now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Why thank you, Jenny! It was a lot of fun to do. There are so many other projects you could do using this same idea! It excites me. :)

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you! Your comments make my day!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

I read every.single.comment. And reply to them as well, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you will receive my reply!

~Des~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...