Thursday, September 18, 2014

DIY Fabric and Marbles Necklace

Who doesn't love a new piece of jewelry?!
For everyone who mentally responded "me!" to that question,
then this post is for you!
 

The only thing better than 'new' than 'free',
and that is pretty much what this DIY Marble Necklace amounts to...just pennies!

I'm sure y'all have seen these marble necklaces all over Pinterest.
But at the risk of being redundant,
I'm going to share my own post on the subject.

All you need is...

  • fabric, cut into 2 1/2 x 45 or 60 inches long
  • marbles {you can buy a bag at the dollar store}

Equipment

  •  ruler
  • scissors
  • sewing machine


1. Cut
For a choker or high collar necklace {about 25 in. long}, I cut my strip 45 inches long.
For the longer necklace I sewed several strips together to make a tube 60 inches long.
This may seem really long, but once you start tying knots, it shortens up quite a bit.

2. Sew
First, if you are sewing strips together length wise,
sew these first, right sides together.


Next fold your piece in half length wise (right sides together) and sew up the edge
using a 1/4 inch seam.



3. Turn
Turn your tube right side out.


4. Stuff and Knot
Put in your marbles and tie knots after each one.
 Experiment with the spacing between marbles and knots.
Be sure to leave enough fabric on either end to tie your necklace around your neck.


This necklace was done just by tying knots right after each marble, close together.


This necklace was done by leaving a gap in between the marble and the knots on either side.
The next marble was tied tightly, followed by another marble with loose knots on either side.

I really like how this changed up the look.
I even made a bracelet to match!
{Recognize those clothes? It is this refashioned outfit!}


On my third necklace, I tied it the same as above, but made it longer,
and only added marbles and knots to the bottom half.
I LOVE that silky, multicolored fabric, it makes a great necklace!

After making my own, I helped my little sister make one too,
which she proceeded to wear both night and day (no kidding, she slept in it!) for probably a month.
She loved it so much, she made one as a Christmas gift for her best friend!

 How about you?
Have you tried this Pinterest project yet?

In case you haven't,
consider this your official nudge in the ribs.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice ! What a nice Christmas gift. This could get addictive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, Des! I hate to bother you again, but I thought that you might be a Jane Austen fan (forgive me if I'm wrong). I have tagged you in a Leibster-type blog game! http://cherishingmyrole.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-janeite-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is REALLY out of date, but I'm the best friend!! And I love my necklace. Thanks to Des and Elaine!! ;)
    Regards,
    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worth reading this blog and gathered more information related to sarees. I have recently written blog on Trendy Indian Sarees .
    Need your views on it. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Your comments make my day!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

I read every.single.comment. And reply to them as well, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you will receive my reply!

~Des~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...