Have you ever found a lovely piece of clothing, but it was too small?
Well that was just the issue I had when I came across a beautiful, flowing, vintage coral dressing gown on one of my thrifting outings.
It was too small waisted to wrap around me, and the arms were too tight.
But it was only $1, I loved the color, and there was so much material, I figured I could make something work.
This was a project I did quite a while ago, and it being one of my first refashions, I was making it up as I went along.... which means.... I didn't bother to take a 'before' picture.
This is what it looks like now.
Gorgeous flowing ankle length dressing gown that I love because now it fits me!
And this is how I did it.
This dress is constructed with lots and lots of pleats...they go all the way around the waist.
So all I had to do was take out several of the pleats on either side in the front.
Then, to keep it from being too straight a line where I took out the pleats,
I added a single inverted box pleat on each side, like in the picture above.
Lovely, flattering waist line.
The collar/front was pleated as well, folded over and sewn down, so when I picked that loose it was wide enough to accommodate letting out the waist.
Next, I needed to fix do something with the arms.
The sleeves came down to just above the elbow, a little longer than I would like for a summer robe.
So I came up with a solution that fixed the snugness and length.
I ripped out the seam under the arms right up to the point just under the armpit.
|The ripped seam to the point under the armpit.|
I'm not sure what material this is made of, but it rolls up instead of fraying,
so there was no need to fix the exposed edges after my ripping.
Next I pinched and gathered up the sleeves in the middle and sewed over the gathered material....
I loved the sweet, feminine look of it!
And yes, I'm sorry, but I did use white thread...like I said, I was winging it,
and I didn't have matching thread anyway.
So there you have it...a quick fix for too tight sleeves and waist.
I loved the way the sleeves looked, and I'm sure I'll use that technique again!