Thursday, August 8, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Gluten Free Option

 It happened.

I was suddenly struck with one of those irrepressible food cravings,
you know the kind...
 something yummy gets fixated in your head and your just can't live happily until you've had some.

For two weeks, my goodie fixation was Oatmeal Raisin cookies.
It wasn't as if they were my favorite cookie, and it had been ages since I had any, but suddenly it became necessary for survival that I make myself a batch.

Sadly, my first attempt was a flop.
First...there wasn't a single raisin to be had in the entire house.
Oh well, chocolate chips seemed a good substitute, right?

Nope.
They tasted like chocolate chip cookies with a little more texture.
Good, yes.
But sorely disappointing when you were expecting something different.

So, after stocking up on raisins,
I tried again.

Ahh, the old fashioned, simple recipe I found in our go-to cookie cook book hit the spot!
I found it interesting when I read 'buttermilk' on the ingredient list.
But if there is one thing I've learned since moving down south,
 it is that all good things are made with buttermilk.

And what made it even better, with some slight tweaking I was able to make
a gluten free version so my dad could enjoy these treats as well!

 It was so yummy, I thought I would share it with you.


Farm-Style Oatmeal Cookies





*2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups quick-cooking oats
**1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
***cinnamon

  • Heat oven to 375 degrees
  • Mix brown sugar, shortening, buttermilk, vanilla and cinnamon.
  • Stir in remaining ingredients.
  • Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet, flatten slightly.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
  • Let cool.
*I would recommend using less sugar, they were great, but a bit sweet for our taste.
 
**This is where I turned the recipe gluten free. I measured out 1 3/4 cups of quick oats and simply ran them through the food processor (a blender would work too) until they were a fine powder.
And there you have it, I made oat flour. It came out to be about the same ground up as whole, so the measurement you put into the food processor is pretty much what you will get out in flour.
 
 ***This recipe didn't call for cinnamon, but others I looked at did, so I just sprinkled some in. 
I didn't measure, so I would just say 'viewer discretion advised'. :) 




Yum, yum, yummy.

Now, the recipe says to bake these for about 10-12 minutes-- the key is until they are golden brown.
Mine were very crumbly, and I thought they weren't quite done, but once they cooled completely, they were perfect...soft and gooey. I made the mistake of cooking my next pan longer, and once they cooled they were hard, crunchy and even tasted a little different.
So less is best.

This recipe came from the Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook, 1986 version





Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! These look and sound amazing! I can't wait to buy some raisins and try these for myself! And I didn't realize you could make oat flour simply by running them through the food processor! Much cheaper than gluten free flour for sure! I'd like to experiment with going gluten free for a week and see how my family and I feel afterwards. I eat a lot of bread and other gluten-laden foods so I'm wondering how drastic it will feel to do so.
    :)
    Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe! :)
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen!
      Thank you so much for visiting my blog- your comment made my day. :) These are great, I'm sure you will love them! Yeah, my mom had to eat wheat free for a few years because one of siblings had severe wheat allergies as a baby. It was before gluten free was big, there wasn't a lot available, so this is how she made her flour. Gluten free can sure be expensive, but my Dad and several other extended family members have been eating that way for about a year and it has made a big health difference for them, so it could sure be a good thing to try. I hope you have good success if you try it!
      ~Des~

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you! Your comments make my day!

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me!

I read every.single.comment. And reply to them as well, so be sure to check the "Notify Me" box so you will receive my reply!

~Des~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...